nigeriasport.ng

Liverpool Cool Interest in Arsenal Starlet Ethan Nwaneri

Liverpool have cooled any talk of a move for Arsenal starlet Ethan Nwaneri this summer, despite strong internal admiration for the teenager’s talent.

Claims on Wednesday from a self-styled “team of five elite reporters” on X suggested Liverpool and Arsenal had been “locked in intense, high-level talks all day” over Nwaneri, with Arsenal supposedly looking to cash in before the window shuts. That version of events has been firmly knocked back from the Anfield side.

Liverpool do want a right-sided attacker to prepare for life after Mohamed Salah. Nwaneri, who can operate off the flank or as a No 10, would fit the profile on paper and has long been regarded as one of the standout prospects of his age group. But that is where the story stops for now.

Anfield Sector, a Liverpool-focused outlet, moved to shut down the growing noise. Posting on X, they stated that while Liverpool “admire his abilities as a footballer”, there is “no desire to complete a transfer currently as things stand.”

The Merseyside club’s attention remains fixed on Paris Saint-Germain pair Bradley Barcola and Ibrahim Mbaye as their primary winger targets. PSG’s starting demand is enormous: a combined €200m (£171m) for the duo, a figure Liverpool are trying to drag down in ongoing discussions.

Arsenal, meanwhile, are walking a delicate line with their own academy jewels. Asked about potential exits for Nwaneri and fellow youngster Myles Lewis-Skelly, club CEO Richard Garlick acknowledged the growing spotlight.

“There’s been a lot of speculation around players,” he said. “I can’t stop other clubs being interested. I think Myles has had a fantastic end to last season and has started this one really well – we’re very, very happy with him.

“Ethan has had a great pre-season as well and I think it’s just a case of looking at what opportunities there are that will help both of those in terms of their career moving forward. We are not actively looking at selling those homegrown players but if the right opportunity came up – right for them and the club – we’d obviously consider that.”

So Arsenal are not pushing Nwaneri out of the door. But they are listening.

And the queue is forming.

Transfer specialist Fabrizio Romano outlined the scale of the interest earlier this week. “Talking about Ethan Nwaneri… a lot of interest,” he said. “AC Milan made contact with Arsenal, German clubs made contact with Arsenal, Galatasaray made contact with Arsenal, and then, Premier League clubs are coming.

“There is a feeling at Arsenal that Premier League clubs are now going to knock on the door and try to get a deal done for Ethan Nwaneri.

“So there’s going to be a lot of movement on the boy, and obviously it’ll be on Nwaneri to decide, because the expectation is to see a lot of proposals and movement.

“He’ll be a very interesting market opportunity, but at the same time it’s Nwaneri deciding with his agents and family, so we have to wait and see what’s going to happen there.”

While Liverpool step away, other suitors are stepping up. TEAMtalk have reported that Borussia Dortmund are actively hunting a new winger and hold concrete interest in Nwaneri, viewing him as a serious option rather than a speculative punt.

Any deal will not be cheap. Reports have placed Nwaneri’s valuation in the £35-50m bracket, a huge sum for a teenager but one that reflects both his ceiling and the Premier League premium. Arsenal are also expected to push for a buy-back clause, a safety net that would let them bring him home if he explodes elsewhere.

Liverpool’s stance clears one heavyweight from the race. It does something else too: it leaves the path open for Europe’s most talent-obsessed clubs to make their move for one of England’s most intriguing young forwards.