Barcelona Pursues Julián Álvarez Amid Transfer Tensions
Barcelona have broken cover on their pursuit of Julián Álvarez. Vice-president Rafael Yuste has confirmed the club tabled an offer for the Atlético Madrid forward, while doing everything possible not to inflame an already delicate La Liga stand-off.
Speaking to TV3 after the Joan Gamper Trophy, Yuste was pressed on Barça’s chase for the Argentine, who has been repeatedly linked with a move to Montjuïc. Atlético’s stance is clear: Álvarez is not for sale. Reports in Spain, though, insist the player wants out, leaving the operation on a knife edge between opportunity and confrontation.
Yuste chose his words with precision.
He refused to delve into specifics on Álvarez, stressing that Barcelona must show restraint when talking about a footballer who remains under contract at Atlético Madrid. The message was as much for the cameras as it was for the offices in the capital.
“I don’t like to talk about players who aren’t ours. We’ve had a very good relationship with Miguel Ángel Gil and President Cerezo for years and years, and so these are things that I would say are part and parcel of football.
“We must maintain decorum and let common sense prevail,” Yuste said, as reported by Mundo Deportivo.
The comments left one key question hanging: is Barça’s proposal still on the table, or are they preparing a fresh move? Yuste did not bite. He simply acknowledged what had already been widely reported.
“We made an offer and that’s that,” he stated, drawing a firm line under the subject in public.
From there, he shifted the spotlight back onto the pitch and Hansi Flick’s immediate demands. With La Liga about to start, Yuste underlined that Barcelona cannot afford to be distracted by a transfer saga, however tempting the prize.
“We must focus entirely on what Hansi said recently: that we have a match on Sunday and we have to go out and win it.
“There are 38 matches in La Liga and each one is worth three points, so we’re fully focused on trying to secure our first win,” he added.
The message was clear: the Álvarez chase will not be allowed to dominate the dressing room’s agenda, at least not publicly.
Window still open, Barça still active
Away from the Álvarez tension, Yuste made it plain that Barcelona are not done in the market.
He praised the work of the club’s sporting structure during the deal to sign Rodri, highlighting Deco’s leadership and the growing influence of Bojan and Alejandro Echeverría behind the scenes.
“We have a great technical team, with Deco, Bojan and Alejandro Echeverría, who is also doing an exceptional job, and the transfer window is still open,” Yuste said.
Barcelona’s vice-president left the door ajar to further signings without naming names, without promises, but with a clear signal: the squad is still under construction, and the club are willing to move if the right opportunity appears.
Whether that opportunity ends up being Julián Álvarez now depends on how far Barça are prepared to push – and how long Atlético can hold their line.




