nigeriasport.ng

Julian Alvarez Transfer Saga Continues as Simeone Takes a Stand

The transfer window is winding towards its close, but Julian Alvarez’s wish remains the same: a move from Atletico Madrid to FC Barcelona. The club’s stance, though, has not budged an inch.

Atletico have told anyone who will listen – and Barcelona in particular – that the Argentine is not for sale. No discussions. No openings. No softening.

Alvarez missed Atletico’s opening game of the 2026/27 season after returning late from World Cup duty, a convenient absence in the middle of a storm. Now comes the complicated part.

A delicate return for Alvarez

Diego Simeone confirmed that the striker will be back in the squad for tomorrow’s clash with Villarreal, a decision that drags the issue out into the open rather than keeping it at arm’s length.

“Yes, he’ll be in tomorrow’s squad and he’s better. He’s progressing at his own pace. We’ll try to manage a complicated, difficult match against a tough opponent with good players,” Simeone said, as quoted by Mundo Deportivo.

Leaving Alvarez out again would have spared Atletico an awkward scene. Sections of the fanbase have already made their feelings clear about a player who has been strongly linked with a move to one of their fiercest rivals.

The calendar offered Atletico an escape route. After Villarreal, they head into three straight away fixtures – Sevilla, Athletic Club and Real Sociedad – before finally returning to the Metropolitano on September 16 to face Osasuna. Had Alvarez been omitted this weekend, his first game back in front of the home crowd would likely have come after the transfer window had shut.

That scenario would have given him time and space: several games on the road to let his football, and perhaps his goals, cool the temperature around his future.

Atletico have chosen the opposite route. They want him involved now – for sporting reasons and as a deliberate move to slam the door on the speculation.

Simeone backs the club and the player

Simeone did not hide behind vague answers. He doubled down on the club’s line and echoed CEO Miguel Angel Gil Marin, who had already accused pro-Barcelona outlets of trying to stir trouble.

“Let it be clear, because at a moment when people are waiting for division and trying to create conflict and uncertainty, there is no uncertainty. Miguel Angel Gil Marin spoke clearly yesterday,” the coach insisted.

The message was blunt: there will be no split in the dressing room, no public tug-of-war over Alvarez. At least not from Atletico’s side.

Simeone then moved from the institutional to the personal. Alvarez, he stressed, is central to what Atletico want to achieve this season.

“For me, he’s an extremely important player for achieving our sporting objectives. We’ll be with him and look after him from a sporting perspective. Why? Because he’s our player. As long as he’s at Atletico, I’ll look after him.”

The Argentine coach admitted he has spoken with his compatriot, though he stopped short of revealing the player’s inner thoughts. On that, he was careful.

“It’s difficult to say how another person feels because I’m not that person. What I see is that he’s working in the best possible way, working with his teammates and showing respect to everyone.”

So the picture is clear. Alvarez still dreams of Barcelona. Atletico refuse to open the door. Simeone, caught in the middle, has nailed his colours to the mast and put his faith in the striker’s professionalism.

Now comes the real test: how will the Metropolitano react when Julian Alvarez’s name is read out and he steps back onto that pitch with the window still open?