Manchester United Injury Update: Carrick's Bulletin Before Hull Opener
Manchester United head into the new Premier League season with a bench slowly filling up again, but one major name still facing a long road back.
Michael Carrick used his pre-match press conference to run through a lengthy medical list before United’s lunchtime trip to Hull City at the MKM Stadium on Saturday, a week after a 4-2 defeat to Milan in Wroclaw that several senior players sat out.
Some are back. One is close. One is nowhere near.
Sesko finally returns to the pack
The biggest boost comes up front. Benjamin Sesko, missing for the entirety of pre-season, is back.
The striker’s shin problem cut short his debut campaign in early May, an issue he had battled through before aggravating it in the win over Liverpool at Old Trafford. United have taken no risks with him this summer, keeping him out of all the warm-up games.
Now, at last, he is back in full training at Carrington.
“Ben [Sesko] is back training, so that's another positive,” Carrick said. “Looking forward to having him back around the group and getting him some minutes as well.”
Minutes might be managed, but the option alone changes the feel of United’s attack going into opening day.
Darlow steps up as goalkeeping picture shifts
At the other end of the pitch, there is overdue progress.
Karl Darlow, signed in the summer but yet to pull on a United shirt, has also returned to training. The goalkeeper underwent surgery at the end of last season, having played on for Leeds United until his contract expired and then turning out for Wales in early June before being shut down.
With Radek Vitek leaving for Middlesbrough and Tom Heaton sidelined, the gloves have been passed around. Senne Lammens has started, with Dermot Mee drafted in behind him.
Carrick now expects to have another senior option back on the teamsheet.
“Karl has trained this week. He's back training, so he's in good shape,” he said.
If Darlow proves fit enough, he is in line to step straight onto the bench at Hull, a timely reinforcement with Heaton out.
Ugarte faces long haul after World Cup blow
One player Carrick will not see for months is Manuel Ugarte.
The midfielder suffered a knee ligament injury playing for Uruguay at this summer’s World Cup, an incident that immediately marked him out as United’s sole long-term absentee heading into the new campaign. Surgery has already been completed, with the club confirming the operation was successful and that he has now entered the rehabilitation phase under the guidance of United’s medical and performance staff.
Ugarte has already spoken publicly about the setback.
“I'm incredibly grateful to Uruguay and Man Utd for being there for me from the moment it happened,” he said. “A huge thank you as well to my family, my friends, and everyone who has sent me messages of support during this time. I'll be back stronger.”
For Carrick, the task is clear: build a midfield balance without him for the foreseeable future.
Mount in “touch-and-go” race
Mason Mount sits in the middle ground: not fully fit, not fully out.
The midfielder picked up a foot injury in the 1-1 draw with Paris Saint-Germain earlier this month, limping off after just 20 minutes in Gothenburg and making way for Tyler Fletcher. He has missed both friendlies since, with Andrey Santos and then Youri Tielemans stepping into central roles.
Carrick hinted Mount is close, but not guaranteed, for Hull.
“We are managing Mason [Mount] a little bit, but he's very close, so it's touch-and-go for the weekend, really, if not going into next week,” he said.
United must now decide whether to risk him on opening day or hold him back with a long season looming.
De Ligt back on the grass, but not yet in the squad
At centre-back, there is another cautious positive.
Matthijs de Ligt is back training after back surgery earlier this year, an operation that ruled him out of the final six months of last season. His last competitive appearance came in late November, and Carrick is not about to rush him straight into Premier League intensity.
“Matt [De Ligt] has obviously been out for a long period of time, but he's training and great to have him back,” Carrick explained. “Well, he won't be involved, but he's in good shape and moving in a good direction, so that's really a good bonus for us, really, at this stage, to have him back.”
For now, his return is about presence on the training pitch rather than on the teamsheet.
Heaton’s setback sharpens need for Darlow
Tom Heaton’s injury initially looked minor. It has not played out that way.
The 40-year-old picked up the problem against PSG a fortnight ago, with Mee replacing him amid little concern at the time. Scans and subsequent assessments have painted a different picture, and Heaton is now expected to miss at least a few weeks.
The timing underlines the importance of Darlow’s recovery. If the former Leeds man is declared ready, he is expected to come straight in as Lammens’ deputy at Hull, pushing Mee back down the pecking order.
United arrive at the MKM Stadium with one long-term casualty, several key players edging back and a manager trying to stitch it all together on the fly. How quickly those returning bodies turn into reliable starters may shape far more than just opening day.




