nigeriasport.ng

Mohamed Salah's Liverpool Future: A U-Turn on His Terms

Mohamed Salah’s Liverpool future, once painted as a closed chapter, has swung back into play – but only on his terms.

The forward, who had been expected to walk away on a free transfer this summer, is now understood to be open to a dramatic U-turn. The catch is brutal in its clarity: Salah stays only if Arne Slot and key decision-makers at the club do not.

A title defence in ruins

Liverpool’s 2025/26 season has unravelled in a way nobody at Anfield saw coming. A year on from lifting their 20th league title, the champions have looked nothing like champions. The defence of the crown has been weak, disjointed and, at times, unrecognisable.

There are reasons. There always are. But the spotlight has inevitably fallen on two figures: Salah, the club’s talisman of the modern era, and Slot, the man hired to steer the next phase after Jürgen Klopp.

Salah’s form has nosedived. So has much of the squad’s, but when the standards you’ve set are Ballon d’Or conversations and 30-goal seasons, every miscontrol and missed chance feels louder. Slot, meanwhile, has faced growing anger over what many see as conservative, uninspired football and a record that simply doesn’t stand up at a club of Liverpool’s size.

The tension between the two has not been subtle. Salah reacted badly to slipping down the pecking order earlier in the campaign, a rare public flash of frustration from a player usually ice-cool under pressure. The situation escalated when it became known he would leave on a free at the end of the season, a decision that seemed to suit all parties at the time.

Then came the weekend.

“Heavy metal” or nothing

After Friday’s defeat to Aston Villa – Liverpool’s 20th loss of a grim season – Salah broke from the usual script. He criticised Slot’s playing style and openly called for a return to the “heavy metal attacking football” that had defined the Klopp era.

It was more than a throwaway line. It was a challenge to the entire direction of the club.

Salah still has a year left on his contract, but the mood music for months has been that a clean break in the summer would be best for everyone. New cycle, new coach, new attack. The kind of reset big clubs make when the air has gone stale.

Yet, according to The Athletic, that script may now be getting torn up.

The report says some of Salah’s associates in Egypt have been quietly suggesting he has not completely abandoned the idea of staying at Liverpool, despite the recent announcements about his departure. The door, it seems, has been left slightly ajar.

But only under one condition: a regime change.

That starts with Slot. It does not end with him.

The same report outlines that Salah’s continued presence would likely require the exit of the directors who back Slot and who, like the coach, are also entering the final year of their contracts. This is not a tweak. It is a demand for a reset at the very top.

Owners under pressure

At the same time, the picture at ownership level is murky.

On Monday, a report from TEAMtalk claimed FSG had begun to rethink Slot’s position, with Salah’s outburst after the Villa defeat said to have “triggered” internal discussions. According to that report, four possible replacements are already being weighed up.

Yet another influential voice tells a different story.

Speaking on his YouTube channel, Fabrizio Romano insisted that, as of this weekend, Liverpool’s hierarchy still stand behind Slot.

“They want to support Arne Slot, believe in Arne Slot,” Romano said, stressing that the club have not made contact with any alternative candidates – not Xabi Alonso, not anyone.

He acknowledged the reality: a season stained by 20 defeats, poor performances and a style of play that has left supporters cold. A complicated, messy campaign. But his understanding is that, up to now, Liverpool have not picked up the phone to another coach because the owners still believe Slot is the man to lead the rebuild.

Two narratives, one club. One of them will have to give.

A brutal choice ahead

Liverpool now stand at a crossroads that goes far beyond one bad season.

On one side is Slot and the current football structure, a project the owners have publicly and privately backed, even through the turbulence of this campaign.

On the other is Salah, the face of the club’s modern success, who has effectively drawn a line: if this regime stays, he goes. If it goes, he might just stay.

This is not a simple popularity contest. It’s a strategic decision about identity, style and the next five years of Liverpool Football Club.

Does the club double down on Slot and accept the end of the Salah era on schedule? Or does it rip up the blueprint, change coach and leadership, and build one more act around a 33-year-old icon who still believes Anfield should sound like heavy metal, not a muted rehearsal?

The season has already been lost. The next one is being shaped right now, in boardrooms and back channels, with one of the greatest players in Liverpool’s history at the centre of the storm.