Julian Alvarez Returns for Atletico Madrid vs Villarreal Clash
Diego Simeone is putting the noise to one side. Julian Alvarez is back.
The Atletico Madrid coach confirmed on Saturday that the Argentina striker will return to the squad for Sunday’s La Liga meeting with Villarreal, just weeks after a turbulent summer in which Alvarez pushed to leave the club.
“Yes, he's going to be included in the squad list tomorrow and he's doing better,” Simeone told reporters.
The message was short, but clear: the World Cup winner is back in the picture.
Alvarez missed Atletico’s opening league win over Malaga on Wednesday, still working his way towards full fitness after an extended post-World Cup break. While the team started the season with three points, the forward’s absence only fuelled speculation around his future.
He had wanted out. Atletico refused.
Barcelona and Real Madrid both tested Atletico’s resolve with bids during the summer window. The club turned them away, holding firm on a player Simeone still views as central to his plans.
That stance has not gone down well with everyone. Sections of the Atletico support turned on Alvarez during the Malaga game, chanting insults about the striker in response to his desire to leave.
Simeone understands the anger, but he is not joining in.
“Obviously I don't share in any insults or slights. Let that be absolutely clear,” he said. The tone was firm. Protective.
“Julian is a hugely important player for achieving the goals we have as a team. We need him, we're going to look after him.
“That's from a sporting standpoint, and we're going to stand by him. Why? Because he's our player, and as long as there are players at Atletico Madrid who are mine, I'm going to look after them.”
The coach had already said the fans “should be respected” when asked previously about the reaction in the stands. On Saturday, he drew a line: respect the supporters, defend the player.
Alvarez, like many of his teammates, is still “getting up to speed,” as Simeone put it. The physical work is ongoing. The real test comes next: how he handles the reception when his name is read out at the Metropolitano, and how quickly he can repay Atletico’s refusal to cash in.
While Simeone prepares to reintegrate the forward, the clubs who chased him are keeping their distance in public. Barcelona coach Hansi Flick, pressed repeatedly on Saturday about whether the Spanish champions had abandoned their pursuit of Alvarez, refused to be drawn, insisting he would not talk about players from other teams.
So Alvarez stays where he is, for now. Wanted by giants, whistled by some of his own, shielded by his coach.
On Sunday, the debate moves from the market to the pitch.



